Monday, June 4, 2007

More Than A Natural Hair Salon.


One thing I love about visiting KINKS natural hair salon, is that there is always something happening. Akilah, owner and loctician, not only wanted her shop to be a natural hair care salon, but to offer a wide range of various services and opportunities to the community. For instance. I remember going there one weekend to have my locks serviced. When I opened the door, I was hit with a mind altering aroma of a Jamaican brotha' cooking food from his native country. I couldn't resist, and purchased a plate from him. OMG!!! It was soooo good!!!!! And, he was cute, cute, cute. Did I say he was cute? Darn I forgot to take his picture (-: At the same time there was an art exhibit on display in another section of the three story Victorian building. The artist, Marshall Bailey, had enough African art to fill two rooms with all of his creations. Also, I learned that he is a professional photographer( Marshall Bailey Photography # 916-613-0099), if interested in his services. I was quite impressed with his work. Also, quite friendly. I'm considering soliciting his services to take pictures of my kids and me.
On a different visit, there were various vendors selling Afican jewelry, clothing, crafts, etc. There were even several people offering massages and various types of body wraps. I purchased some very cute African styled earrings. I wear them often.

I am told that there will be a sisterlock retightening class offereded in July at the salon. It is suppose to be taught by Shannon. I will have to check with Akilah to see if it is still happening. I will post it on the "lock it up" web site and here once I confirm the date.
I'm sure there are a lot more services offered but I don't want to be too wordy. If you are ever in Sacramento, stop by and tell Akilah "Aya" sent you (-:

14 comments :

  1. Creyole said...

    Nice finds and the store front is so inviting!

  2. Linda said...

    Sounds like a great place. I visited a skin care store today that is combined with a natural hair salon and they too are very holistic. I purchased Carol's Daughter's products and other organic skin care products. For your question regarding the veggie meatball recipe, it should be 1 onion minced or finely chopped. I will change on my post. Let me know how it comes out for you.

  3. muslimahlocs said...

    greetings. i missed out on all of this great stuff when i lived near arnold. i was driving to benecia to get my hair doen and/or doing it myself back then.

  4. Goodnapps said...

    oohh - what a nice salon indeed.

  5. N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

    What was he cooking? A pity yu neva tek 'im pictcha :-D. The pics make me want to visit. So inviting.

  6. Sis. RJQueen10 said...

    Awesome posts! Thanks for sharing. This sounds like a place I would like to go and hang out there! I love the name too, KINKS! That is real cool!

    I like your earings!

    Sis. RJQueen10

  7. Mel said...

    The front of the shop is lovely!

  8. Abena Abena said...

    How nice....I wish we had a store like that in my area :(

    BTW- You have been tagged, check out my blog for instructions and have fun!

  9. muslimahlocs said...

    oh, by the way you've been tagged. drop by my blog for details.

  10. Sis. RJQueen10 said...

    Okay, here I am breaking the rules again! I am the third person to tag you! You have been tagged. Check out Choosen Vessel, Muslimahlocs, or RJQueen10 blogspot for instructions.

    Sis. RJQueen10

  11. Mel said...

    Make that four - I've tagged you too!

  12. Ro~ said...

    Aya,
    Enjoyed your posts, and the pics. By the way you've been tagged. So, I look forward to you sharing.

  13. Ro~ said...

    Oh shoot, I'm the 5th to tag ya :o(

  14. Maryee said...

    Aya,

    KINKS was the first place I went to when I was making my transition to the natural state in 2000. I got my first two-strand twists at KINKS. Also, it was Akilah who introduced me to Sisterlocks. KINKS was definitely a breath of fresh air for me during my stay. I'd attend some of their events and go hang out from time to time. Thanks for sharing!