Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sisterloc Retightening Class

Hello All! My computer has been out of commission for awhile, but now I am back in the mix. Not only that, life has thrown a few curve balls my way causing me to direct my attention to other pressing matters. Anyway, I’m so glad my computer is working, and I can update you all on the latest with my locks…..

On September 29th I took the Sisterlock retightening class. Shannon, my loctician agreed to travel with me to Oakland, to my sister’s house, to teach us how to retighten our hair. Helga was in town on business and joined us too.

During the class you’re taught to use two types of hooks; the long hook and the short hook. We started our learning to use the long hook. I was stressed out trying to use that darn long hook. I even ruined one of my locks trying to use it, and had to have Shannon redo the lock. When we learned the technique of using the short hook, my confidence returned some for it was much easier to use. However. I did not like the way I had to manipulate the short lock tool to attach it to my lock.

It seemed to me that Lexus Prefect ( the eldest sis) seemed the most comfortable tightening her hair while me and Helga were not so sure.

Though once home, and with some practice, I feel I am getting the hang of it. I will see tomorrow when I go and see Shannon for my retightening. Once she gives the ok on my work, I hope to do more of it on my own.

Although I wasn’t that pleased to have to pay $250.00, I’m glad I took the class for I do feel more empowered. Also, Shannon did a very good job teaching us.

I am now nine months locked, but decided to wait to post pictures till after my retightening. I’ll post them soon. Blessings.


Here's a picture of one of our new bunnies, Ayu Starr! (Named by my daughter)

17 comments :

  1. Cluizel said...

    OHMIGOODNESS!!!! I love the bunny!!!

    I wonder if my dog wants a bunny for a sister...

  2. N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

    I'm glad you took the class, if it will give you more independence and empowerment where your hair maintenance is concerned. I'm still deliberating about taking the class in January when it comes to Kingston. It's a lot of money, but if it will be worth it in the end, I'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

    Looking forward to see those pics. It's so good to have you back again :)

  3. blackrussian said...

    I feel like I am going to be the only one of us who can't do her own hair!!!

    Enjoyed your post. Does Shannon have large SLs or are they traditionals. They are beautiful. Can't wait for your 9 month pics!

  4. muslimahlocs said...

    the rabbit is to cute. HMC wants a cat, flamingo or really any animal that we would agree to let her have.
    i prefer the hook tool. once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to use. i am sure that your consultant warned you against using the clip tool if the ends of your locks are unravelling or not fully mature.
    welcome back.

  5. Aya said...

    BR: Shannon sports traditional locks. Aren't they gorgeous?

  6. Anonymous said...

    That bunny is soooo cute...I want one!!!

    Well, I'm happy to hear you took the class. It had to be awesome since she was teaching 3 of you as opposed to a larger group.

    Can't wait to see the pics!! I'm still wondering if I'll be taking the class as well. I just can't wait til the 08 calendar is out...

  7. KnottyAuthor said...

    i'm glad for you! independence is priceless...was the two toned locks sister locks? they were indeed gorgeous but on the large size, so i wasnt sure. love it!

  8. Abena Abena said...

    The bunny, oh, so adorable.

    I am thinking about taking the class so that I can start managing my edges because after 4 years and 3 months, some of my edges are still not locked. I travel over 60 miles one way to get my hair retightened so I think it would be beneficial for me just in case :)

    This was a good post, very helpful.

  9. Mel said...

    Good for you (and your sisters) for taking the steps towards doing your own hair!
    Is the large tool similar to a latch hook?

    LOL @ Muslimah - HMC wanting a Flamingo!

  10. Anonymous said...

    Ooooh, the Bunny is too cute!!
    I wanna hold the bunny! :)

    *co-worker walked by just now, and gave me a comp. on my hair bow!* :)

    Take Care~
    QueenLi

  11. Sogolocs said...

    It sounds like you had a great experience. Keep up the good work.
    I took the class, but have not used my skills as of yet.

    I was wondering if my dog wanted a bunny for a friend too. Your bunny is so cute....What kind is it ?

  12. Aya said...

    Sogolocs,thanks for posting. The bunny pictured is a Netherland Dwarf. We have two of them: Ayume, a girl, and Grrr is the boy. They are soooo sweet and good tempered. We just love them.

  13. Naturally Sophia said...

    Awwh Bunnies!

    Congrats on the class. Please post updates on retightening your own hair. And yes Shannon has beautiful locs.

  14. sJDANCER said...

    That bunny is adorable!!!

  15. Amba said...

    Hi Aya, only just came across your blog and am really enjoying it. I've also really been enjoying Helga's blog although I might never actually have posted a comment on how I love her blog and her hair. I didn't know you were sisters. How wonderful! And to have three of you sisterlocked in the family is great. Your hair looks good girl! I read your earlier postings about thinning locks and I just want to tell you to hang on in there. I at one point had no less than around 20 locks or more thin and drop off due to some hormonal reason. It was soo alarming. But that has stopped and I have stopped crying. Keep working on the retightening. It will "click" one day eventually. Peace. Amba

  16. Ms Stella said...

    Look at the bun bun! How cute.

    It sounds like you had a good experience during the retightening class. How wonderful to have such a small group. I haven't taken the class but, plan to one day.

  17. SeZ said...

    Aya: Once you get it down real good maybe you could teach it to me. Cause I know that I will need some help. Learning is knowing.:-)